Friday, May 22, 2009

Finding Out

I read recently that despite what you assume, parents actually do forget the specifics of their baby's early milestones. And so, in order to hold on to them, you should record or memorialize them.

Finding Out About Baby

It was a Friday. I'd taken a few pregnancy tests before that date, but all were negative so far. Since I'd been on the pill for so long, and only off it for one month, I couldn't really be sure if I was late or not. And I was dying to know, but at the same time, the pregnancy tests weren't cheap. Since it seemed so unlikely that I was pregnant, taking the tests every day seemed like a waste of money. I took a test on Thursday night. Negative. I told Bud "I don't think it's going to happen this month." He said that was ok, it was only the first month, and we didn't expect it to happen so fast. I agreed -- and really meant it -- and we went to bed.

The next morning, because I'm way too impatient, I took another test (reasoning that they say that taking it in the morning is supposed to be time that you'll get the most accurate result). Looking at the result, it appeared negative. But as the minutes ticked by, it seemed like maybe, MAYBE there was a faint second line. However, I figured it was probably in my head.

I went to work, and surfing the web, read that "a line is a line." Meaning, even a faint line is a positive result. But I certainly couldn't feel confident about it, because at this point I wasn't even sure if there was a faint line, or I could just see on the test where the line would appear. But, agian, I'm nothing if not impatient, so I went to CVS and got a digital test, figuring it would give me a yes or no answer.

After waiting until about noon, I finally took the test in the bathroom stall at work. I inconspicuously took it back to my desk under my shirtsleeve. When I got back to my office, I looked, and there it was:

Pregnant

And then I began to hyperventilate. Oh. My. God. We'd actually done it. I hopped around my office for a few minutes, crying and freaking out as quietly as possible. Shocked, shocked, shocked. But mostly, thrilled, thrilled, thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment